5 Ways to Give Love for Happy Relationships
Do you know which way your spouse prefers to receive love?
In his book, The 5 Love Languages, Gary Chapman proposes that each of us has a primary love language which speaks more deeply to us than the other four. Discovering each other’s language and speaking it regularly is the best way to keep love alive in a long lasting relationship:
- Words of Affirmation – using words to build up the other person. “Thanks for taking out the garbage.” As opposed to “Finally, you took the garbage out.”
- Receiving Gifts – a gift communicates you were thinking of the other person.
- Acts of Service – doing something for your spouse you know they would like – cooking dinner, giving a massage, cleaning their car.
- Quality Time – give your spouse your undivided attention. Don’t watch TV together but have a conversation instead – listen and be present in the moment.
- Physical Touch – holding hands, hugging, kissing, sexual intercourse, are all expressions of love.