Snow Mushroom – The Best Hydrating Ingredient
Tremella Mushroom, specifically “Tremella Fuciformis”, also called Silver Ear Mushroom, is used in Asia as a Qi and immune tonic.
Tremella mushroom is also highly price as a youthful skin tonic for a healthy complexion. It is said that imperial Concubine Yang Guifei (719-756), considered the most beautiful woman in Chinese History, used Tremella mushroom for her facial and body maintenance. When asked what her secret to beauty was, she stated, “Tremella Mushroom”.
Modern medical studies have proven that Tremella is rich in protein, carbohydrates, fat, crude fiber, a variety of salts and vitamins, which contain 18 kinds of amino acids.
According to one study, it even inhibits melanin. The study found that when the polysaccharide was isolated from a hot water extract of a Tremella mushroom without adding a chemical agent, it actually inhibited melanin formation with an inhibition ratio of 59.7%.
This is a much better effect on skin lightening when compared to similar brightening agents such as such as Arbutin, Kojic acid and Vitamin C, when tested by the same method.
Another study found that agents containing extracts of Tremella Fuciformis also have a potential stimulating effect on cell growth resulting in accelerated wound healing. A sterilized paste made from the fungus was applied to burn wounds immediately after injury in all cases, the mushroom extract significantly reduced erythema resulting from the wounds.
Tremella Fuciformis can be used to hydrate and potentially lighten spots as well as heal the epidermal layer of the skin with more consumers looking to natural ingredients in skin care formulations.
It has traditionally been believed to benefit the skin and ‘enhance beauty’, and tremella’s polysaccharides have been developed for use in cosmetics on account of their excellent skin moisture retention, skin protection, flexibility and flattening effects, as well as anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties. Their ability to prevent senile degeneration of micro-vessels also helps maintain blood perfusion to the skin.
Tremella mushrooms are used in topical creams, serums and facial preparations as anti-aging ingredients. The extracts are often cited as potent antioxidants and natural moisturizers which can also help to naturally brighten the skin, lighten age spots and even out the overall skin tone.
HYALURONIC ACID VERSUS SNOW MUSHROOM
Hyaluronic acid is a sugary, gel-like substance that’s naturally found in the body and plentiful in young skin. It’s what keeps skin hydrated and plump, as it can hold 1,000 times its weight in water. But, like all good things, such as collagen and elastin, the production of HA declines as we age. By the age of 40, you produce half as much hyaluronic acid as you did in your twenties.
Hyaluronic acid is a carbohydrate that occurs naturally in various parts of the human body. In the skin tissue it helps retain the skin’s natural moisture, hence it is used in skin-care products as a good water-binding agent.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
- Hyaluronic acid is our body’s natural “internal skin moisturizer” that fills out, plumps up and firms our skin thereby keeping it free of wrinkles, fine lines and depressions typically associated with age.
- Hyaluronic acid can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water.
Benefits of Tremella Mushroom
- Tremella generates a natural flexible hydration film on the skin that reinstates dry skin to its optimally hydrated and mobile state, enabling it to develop elasticity and a fit appearance. This film experiences very little shrinkage over time which leads to better sensory, more functional moisturizing and anti-oxidation efficiency.
- Tremella Mushroom’s water holding capacity is more than Hyaluronic Acid.
- The particles in Tremella Mushroom are smaller than hyaluronic acid so it penetrates the skin more easily.
- This mushroom also happens to be high in vitamin D. Topically applied vitamin D has shown impressive healing abilities when applied to acne lesions, so this is another potential use for Tremella extract in skin care.
- When the polysaccharide from Tremella Mushroom was applied to skin topically for 4 weeks, the water holding capacity of the skin and horny layer was greatly improved and had better results than the Hyaluronic Acid control.
Now we have a clear winner! Snow mushroom has more hydrating powers thank Hyaluronic Acid! And that’s why Nayelle’s all-natural cosmetic line contains Tremella mushroom extract. It will be your best defence against cold weather dryness and will help lock in your skins hydration like crazy! Just imagine how hydrated you will feel once you use NAYELLE’s moisturizer. It will make your skin look and feel plump and healthy!